Spanish food guide

With considerable help from my partner and lending heavily on the writings of Simon Rice and Francis Barrett I’ve been putting together this Spanish food guide. A better desciption though would be “food which is eaten in Spain”.

Early days and in truth, not quite a guide yet, but a bit more than a glossary. So far it has a Catalan bias which I intend to rectify over the next few months. Any mistakes, omissions or comments please let me know. Nick

Tags:

14 Responses to “Spanish food guide”

1. nick says:

Remarkable quince link Susie

I’ll put your blog link on your quince note

2. Meant to say that I am going to a medieval market today with camera of course – might get some more info on foods of this area.
    Not sure if you picked up on the almendras thing. Steve and I have hand picked three hundred kilos (de shucked) so far. The bloke we sell them to is sending ENORMOUS quantities off by lorry daily out of our area……
    Many andalucian recipes include ground almonds and some of the best cakes are almond based. Still trying to find Rick Stein’s recipe of almond cake which is to die for. Currently I am doing a photographic project on the almond growing in this area. Probably will put it up on my blog at nativespain.

3. Hi Nick
    Went looking for info on quince and found this: I think stomach pains are
    the problem with overindulging…..

4. nick says:

The hills around Barcelona are weighed down with blackberries in Septmeber. I guess it doesn’t rain enough in Murcia.

Oh dear. We eat a lot of quince.

5. That’s it- chumba. Its only that it comes from the fig family and people like us give it its proper name:)
    Out of interest I have seen the odd blackberry like bramble but no blackberries here in the south so far. Something else that fascinates – the locals warn me not to eat too much quince as its bad for you….I need to follow that up.

6. nick says:

Patrick,

Thanks for the encouragement. I’ve added your pulpo piece from the Galician guide you sent me to the Octopus page

7. nick says:

Thanks Susie for that. I’ve added your comment to the page and will get round doing a higo chumba page.

So in Murcia they say chumba directly? Don’t bother with the higo. Is that right?

8. nick says:

Hi Susie,
    Mora is most definately blackberry. I’ve blackberrting countless times with Spanish friends to be as certain as an apple is a manzana: But here’s proof.

and also known as zarzamora

BUT Confusing, you are also right. It is mora given to trees of the Morus family

I think white mulberry is mora blanca. Mora negra is also mentioned. I shall add this when confirmed.

But the straight mora is a blackberry.

9. Just realised I didnt answer your question properly about the chumbas. First of all they must be treated with great respect – wear gloves whn pick them. Locals say best when early morning dew on them as it softens the spikes. Real peasant food to the extent that the green pads were eaten as a vegetable having been gently fried; the fruit is usually just peeled and added to a plate of mixed fruit. It was served up at a recent Spanish wedding dinner. But I always keep some in the fridge as they are best cold. I have been told they are nice mashed up with crushed ice by locals. I think they are an acquired taste and I have now acquired a taste!

10. Yes higo chumba or prickly pear. I was going to send Clive a piccie for tapas etc at some time.
    Also cant let you get away with mora being blackberry…. black mulberry – I ve got two trees here and shriek! shriek! no alcaparra!!!!!!All the best
    Susie

11. Patrick says:

Greetings Nick,
    Congratulations to all those involved in your early-days glossary/guide! Excellent stuff in there. Given the amazing variety of local produce and recipes in Spain, the task is indeed enormous – and the results mouth-watering! Regards, Patrick

12. nick says:

Hi Susie,

I’ve got chumbas under higo chumba (is that what you mean?) I’ve tasted them but only briefly and certainly never had a large meal. No nothing about them really. Any tips?

Yes, I you’re so right about the rice pudding in Asturias. To die for as they say.

Actually there was a short cursory comment in the main section

Arroz con leche: “Particularly good in Asturias.
    I need to add to this.

13. An enormous task you are taking on here. I find the food of Andalucia and Murcia so different from other areas I have lived in. Sometimes I have written about certain foods as I discover them. I also have some good local recipe books. However one of the things you have missed under arroz category is arroz con leche. Lot of argument where it originates and I think the Asturian recipe is the most interesting. Also dont forget chumbas which I am eating at present in quite large numbers having a good crop. Many English people dont bother to acquire a taste for them but neither do they really bother with figs, dates, grapes and pomegranate – all things with chumbas which would be served up at a large meal here is the south ( and of course not forgetting almonds in all its forms.)