Birdwatching and wildlife tours in Spain
Spain is one of the best places in Europe for birdwatching with over 500 species recorded, with some 270 breeding including European-threatened species such as Dupont’s lark, purple gallinule white-headed duck, marbled teal lammergeyer, golden eagle and the endemic Spanish imperial eagle. This variety is due in no small measure to its geographical location betwixt Europe and Africa, and straddling the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea, and its relief forming an impressive range of habitats and climates. Traditional farming practices such as the dehesa have also helped to greatly birdlife. Good selection here of Birdwatching in Spain books
Birdwatching on Iberianature
- Birds in Spain
- Birds in Spain news
- Birds on the blog
- Birdlife in Iberia on the forum
- Accommodation for birders in Spain
Spanish birdwatching sites
- Birdwatching in Spain books
- SEO. Spanish Ornithological Society. Lots of stuff here. (Spanish) Birdlife International Partner in Spain
- Rare birds in Spain.net Rare birds in Spain is the personal homepage of Ricard Gutiérrez. It provides updated information on the most recent bird sightings in Spain thanks to sightings from collaborators. Besides, it is collaborating with the different iberian rarities committees in helping the promotion and acceptance of rarity sightings
- ATLAS VIRTUAL DE LA AVIFAUNA TERRESTRE DE LA PENÍNSULA IBÉRICA Great site: run by Enciclopedia virtual de los vertebrados españoles
- Fatbirder on Spain. Click on map at bottom of page for regional descriptions
- Institut Català d’Ornitologia Birdwatching tours in Spain Birding in Spain
- World bird links – Spain
- Travellingbirder.com Spain bird lists. Sign up for reports on Spain. I have.
- Birdwatching in Southern Spain
Birdwatching, digiscoping and wildlife tour operators in Spain
Birding and digiscoping tours for small groups in Andalucia. More here
- http://www.iberianwildlife.com/ Natural history guided tours around Spain. John Muddeman, Mike Lockwood and Teresa Farino run guided wildlife holidays and natural history excursions in Spain and Portugal. Authors of excellent Traveller’s Nature Guide to Spain. This is a personal endorsement by me
- Spanish Birds Personalised guided bird watching tours for the Serrania de Ronda, Sierra de Grazalema and Granada/Sierra Nevada. Tours are operated daily at all times of the year. Bird watching tours for up to 14 days include Ronda/Donana tours, Morocco, Ghana and The Gambia. Whether you want a great day out or are interested in a full tour please see our website for further details. This is a personal endorsement by me
- Catalanbirdtours. Professional bird guide Stephen Christopher offers Birding Holidays & Bird Tours: One-off or week-long tours (inc. accommodation) in Catalunya. Ebro / Ebra Delta, Aigüamolls de L’Empordá, Pyrenees, Cap de Creus, Llobregat Delta, Garraf Massif, Steppes of Lleida / Lerida This is a personal endorsement by me
- Wildsideholidays have this interesting list of outfits which do birding tours in Spain
- http://www.andalucianguides.com Andalucian Guides operates a policy of eco-friendly, low impact, sustainable tourism with a high priority towards conservation and birding in southern Andalucia. And check out their ‘identify the bird test’ in the right hand column. Great fun.
- Boletas Birdwatching Centre, based in the Aragonese Pyrenees, is a pioneering initiative in nature holidays in Spain. Josele J Saiz, the principal tour leader, is an expert birdwatching guide and tour organiser for individuals, associations or companies. Boletas offers a superb selection of birding holidays, professionally guided & exquisitely organised for small groups, to the most important Birdwatching Areas of Spain; Pyrenees, Andalusia, Extremadura, Picos de Europa, Canary Islands also Morocco, Namibia, Cuba, etc. This is a personal endorsement by me
- Aviantours – Guided birdwatching, photography & digiscoping. Aviantours prides itself on offering the best birdwatching, bird photography & digiscoping holiday experiences to these areas.
- Audouin Birding Tours Audouin Birding Tours is a bird guiding company based in NE Spain, between the Ebro delta and the mountain chains of Els Ports and Montsià. Day-trips and weekend tours can be arranged on request, primarily in Catalonia. Tours are guided by Cristian Jensen and Iben Hove Sørensen.
- Birding Extremadura Traditional Extremaduran house in the Sierra de los Lagares. Ideal accommodation for birders. Guided birding tours by expert owners.
- Natura Aragon Dutch company specialized in nature tours in Spain
- Olivaramatours (Birding holidays in Valencia) half & full day tours , plus a popular ‘ short break’ birdwatching around the Valencia, Alicante, & Albacete Regions
- Donana bird tours Hosted by Brian Davies and Yolanda Davies-Papen. We look forward to welcoming you to Doñana and introducing you to the world in which we live and which we love and respect. With Doñana Bird Tours you will receive personal, friendly service from experienced, enthusiastic, English, French and Spanish speaking guides. We live in the region and are constantly in touch with the local scene. We will do our very best to cater for your individual needs. We are also able to arrange tours in the Sierra de Aracena and Extremadura.
- Gredos Vivo Nature Tours: bird watching tours in central-western Spain. tours in and around the Gredos mountain range in western central Spain as well as a special early spring tour based in and around the National Park of Monfragüe. A wide variety of exciting itineraries are offered, exploring various landscapes whilst discovering their birds and wildlife, a chance also to enjoy the local culture, tradition and gastronomy. All tours start from Madrid airport.
- Finca Molineros Finca Limoneros is located in Alora on the slopes of the Rio Guadalhorce valley, in itself a magnet for birdlife. We are centred in one of the best birding areas in the whole of Andalucia.
- The Peregrine Falcon in Barcelona Compehensive page of the reintroduction of the Perergine Falcon to Barcelona in English (translated by me)
- Colectivo Ornitológico Cigüeña Negra Black storks
- Spanish quebrantahuesos site (excellent) Fundación para la Conservación del Quebrantahuesos
- La mirada del quebrantahuesos (by above Fundación para la Conservación del Quebrantahuesos ( excellent overview)
- Birding the Costa ‘ Birding the Costa ‘ is a blog spot for English speaking birders anywhere in Andalucía
A directory of Spain
- Animal classification
- Animal English for children
- Animal sounds quiz
- Animal words revision
- Animals and their young
- Animals homes
- Bird quiz
- EFL nature links
- English nature quizzes (java)
- Insects quiz
- Male and female animals
- Nature quizzes for children
- Odd one out
- TEFL word lists
- Wild animals quiz
The Iberianature guide to Spain