Fishing in Spain
- Freshwater fish in Spain List of freshwater specis of fish present in Spain
- A guide to Spanish rivers and lakes
- Invasive fish species in Spain (2004) See also below (Blackwell)
Freshwater fish introductions in Spain: facts and figures at the beginning of the 21st century Twenty-five introduced fish species are established in Spanish fresh waters. Most of the introductions took place after 1900, with a significant exponential increase during the second half of the 20th century (15 species introduced from 1949). Major stocking efforts in Spanish waters have been suspended, but recently some species have been released by anglers or are suspected to be escapes from fish farms. Stream regulation is considered to be one of the main negative factors affecting river ecosystems in Spain, but many of the aliens adapt well to these altered habitats. Competition between native and exotic fishes is certain to occur to some degree, but there is little quantitative information. Fish conservation and fishery management must not be based on the ‘introduce anything’ sentiment that has developed over more than a century. Information, education and public awareness are critical components of any effort to prevent the spread of introduced fish species.
Around the net
- New fish discovered in Spain A new species of cyprinid in the genus Achondrostoma has been described from western Spain. Researchers have named the fish Achondrostoma salmantinum, after the Roman name (Salmantia) of the region (Salamanca) where this fish occurs, in the latest issue of the journal Graellsia.
- Lista de los peces continentales de España (Definitive “official” list)
- Spain fishing Up to date information provided about Fishing in Spain (coarse fishing guidebook). Eight more unbeatable fishing guidebook titles covering sea, coarse and fly fishing for Spain, Portugal and France are available to purchase online here .There are 40 free Spanish Fishing Maps for you to view and download. Fishing holidays for these destinations are available to book anytime.
- fat anglingtours experienced Carp and Barbel fishing tour company in Extremadura, means that we can now offer anglers, whether experienced or not, the opportunity to find the best fishing in Spain.
- go-fishing-spain This site is dedicated to the huge angling potential that is modern Spain. We intend, over time, to cover the entire breadth and width of this beautiful county, bringing you as much angling information as possible to get you on to some excellent fishing.
- Barbel fishing Spain Guided pleasure and Specimen Carp, Barbel and Pike fishing on the River Guadiana’s lakes including the Legendary Orellana and Sierra Brava. The majestic River Guadiana offers superb fishing, the dammed stretches of this river, dating as far back as the early sixties, have already produced the official Spanish Record Carp, let alone the many other 70lb plus fish, quietly returned to its waters.
- Angling in Spain Coarse Fishing and Sea Fishing holidays If you have ever been on holiday to Spain it is a good bet that you have never ventured away from the resort in which you were staying. But Spain offers far more than Sun, Sand and Sangria. – it offers some of the best fishing in Europe. Includes brief history of fishing in Spain page.
- Coarse fishing holidays in Spain Freshwater fishing / angling tours on rivers, stillwater reservoirs and lakes in Spain to catch specimen species of Carp, Catfish, Zander, Pike, Barbel, …
- Fishing Spain Spain offers good fishing, with large barbel and carp being found in many of its rivers and lakes. Along with salmon being found in the 26 rivers that drain the Cantabrian range and Galician coast. You will find 64 fishing preserves of the nature parks of Cazorla, Segura and Las Villas in the Sierra Nevada
- Carp and Cat Fishing in Spain on the Ebro Fishing is our way of life. Family run fishing organisation with over 75 years of fishing experience that can offer you an exciting
A directory of Spain
The Iberianature guide to Spain