Spanish refugees crossing the Pyrenees to France. Many would not make it. Those who did faced a very uncertain future.
- Iberianature on FacebookLoading
- Eight Iberian Lynx reintroduced in SpainToday marks the beginning of the reintroduction of lynx in the central region of the Iberian Peninsula (Sierra Morena) by the LIFE+Iberlince program. This area of Spain is considered to be one the historic distribution areas for this species and the release zone has been selected for future populations with a lot habitat preparation work […]
- Its Orchid Season!One of many of the amazing images by my good friend Sue Eatock. See her wildlife writing here.
- Trapping birds with limesticks – ‘paranys’Sometimes it is hard to know what to write. I want to write about positive things and I want to show people what an amazing country I have chosen to make my home. I have many friends that work hard to protect the stunning place that is called Iberia. However, sometimes I am left speechless […]
- Wild sounds of BarcelonaJust under 4 minutes mini documentary about midwide toads in Montjuïc park, recorded on my mobile. 15 minutes walk from Les Rambles. A bit of an experiment. First effort at sound recording and nature commentary. Listening back a little paused in the comments. As Lucy Brzoska pointed out to me, there’s a Sardian warbler there […]
- Catalan Bonelli’s eagles are critically endangered.I just came across this fairly amazing website with very much up to date information and research into Western Europes Bonelli’s Eagle populations. The latest studies are showing that the population in Northern Spain is at greatest risk. The studies, based long-term monitoring of Bonelli’s Eagle populations in the Iberian Peninsula have revealed demographic
- Eight Iberian Lynx reintroduced in Spain
- Still Cause exhibitionIf you happen to live near Falkirk (Scotland), my friend Christine Jones has organised what looks like a very interesting exhibition (until 20 April) inspired by Gerda Taro. Christine notes “Still Cause is a project and exhibition focused on the struggle for justice and recognition which is ongoing in Spain post-Franco, with the notions of […]
- Nehru in BarcelonaJawaharlal Nehru, future first Prime Minister of India, visited Barcelona in June 1938. The photo above shows Nehru and his daughter Indira Gandhi, who also later became Indian Prime Minister, together with Catalan president Lluis Companys. See also India and the Spanish Civil War It was the Europe of 1938 with Mr. Neville Chamberlain’s appeasement in full s
- Gerda Taro’s graveGrave of photographer Gerda Taro, Peré Lachaise cemetery, París. Taro came to Spain with Robert Capa in August 1936 and together they set out to depict the war and revolution. She was tragically killed when a republican armoured vehicle accidentally crushed her during a retreat in the Brunete battle on 26 July 1937. Found on […]
- Still Cause exhibition
- Some great Wildlife Experiences here at Wilderness and Wildlife offering tailor-made holidays around the world. Superb wilderness and wildlife experiences for the discerning traveller. Destinations all around the world. Everything from Svalbard to Peru.
- Activities Abroad Activities Abroad offers some great ideas. Hiking, huskies, snorkling, night canoeing, you name it.