Republican prisoners forming the dictator’s name. Jaén 1953. Despite improving its international image from the 1960s, the dictatorship would remain chronically violent and murderous to the very end..
- Iberianature on FacebookLoading
- Catalan Bonelli’s eagles are critically endangered.I just came across this fairly amazing website with very much up to date information and research into Western Europes Bonelli’s Eagle populations. The latest studies are showing that the population in Northern Spain is at greatest risk. The studies, based long-term monitoring of Bonelli’s Eagle populations in the Iberian Peninsula have revealed demographic
- One of the first examples of the Iberian lynx conservation project has diedThe first example of the Iberian lynx conservation and breeding program “Esperanza” (Hope in English) has died of old age and ill health She was discovered in march 2001 by Miguel Delibes in the Coto del Rey are of Doñana National park with three siblings. One was already dead and another in a critical condition. […]
- Good and bad news from Aznalcollar and DoñanaExcellent update with the good (and bad) news from Aznalcollar and Doñana Nacional park area on the BBC radio 4 programme “Costing the Earth”. Although ending with a warning for the future as is almost always the case it is good to hear that the clean up from the chemical spill took a relatively short […]
- New Iberian wolf census called for.The governing Partido Popular party of Spain have called for a national census of the Iberian wolf which is about time too as the last reliable census was taken in 1988. The Government will create an updated population census on the Iberian peninsular but presumably this won’t include Portugal. This census will then help to […]
- The worldwide Environmental Justice Atlas (Spain)I have just come across this very interesting interactive map of environmental issues in Spain. Right now the map pinpoints 35 conflicts around the country that are of concern. Issues such as the mega-infrastructure projects of the Ciudad Real airport and Ports, to utility projects such as those over high tension electricity lines, incinerators and […]
- Catalan Bonelli’s eagles are critically endangered.
- Still Cause exhibitionIf you happen to live near Falkirk (Scotland), my friend Christine Jones has organised what looks like a very interesting exhibition (until 20 April) inspired by Gerda Taro. Christine notes “Still Cause is a project and exhibition focused on the struggle for justice and recognition which is ongoing in Spain post-Franco, with the notions of […]
- Nehru in BarcelonaJawaharlal Nehru, future first Prime Minister of India, visited Barcelona in June 1938. The photo above shows Nehru and his daughter Indira Gandhi, who also later became Indian Prime Minister, together with Catalan president Lluis Companys. See also India and the Spanish Civil War It was the Europe of 1938 with Mr. Neville Chamberlain’s appeasement in full s
- Gerda Taro’s graveGrave of photographer Gerda Taro, Peré Lachaise cemetery, París. Taro came to Spain with Robert Capa in August 1936 and together they set out to depict the war and revolution. She was tragically killed when a republican armoured vehicle accidentally crushed her during a retreat in the Brunete battle on 26 July 1937. Found on […]
- Still Cause exhibition
- Some great Wildlife Experiences here at Wilderness and Wildlife offering tailor-made holidays around the world. Superb wilderness and wildlife experiences for the discerning traveller. Destinations all around the world. Everything from Svalbard to Peru.
- Activities Abroad Activities Abroad offers some great ideas. Hiking, huskies, snorkling, night canoeing, you name it.